April 26

Blog #6 – Lemon Garlic Shrimp Fettucini

Hi! This week, I made Lemon garlic Shrimp Fettucini. Like always, in class I picked out this recipe and edited it. At home, I got straight to work.

Recipe: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/lemon-garlic-shrimp-fettuccine/

Editied Recipe: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uv8ZPBWWyC3g1PTUiJJ23Bsbml82ndp0XK-ciSwvIY8/edit

This recipe took a very long time, but I’m really happy with the final product. This was my first time trying shrimp, which also means that it was my first time cooking it! The taste of it was very good and well seasoned, but the texture of it really threw me off. I was expecting almost a chicken-like texture, however, it kind of “popped” in my mouth. Although, it was still really tasty, especially after I put in the pasta. Adding on, the butter and lemon flavouring of the pasta itself was really, really good. I must admit, eating too much of this dish doesn’t feel good for your stomach, but if you eat good portions, then it’s super delicious. To be honest, I didn’t think I’d like the shrimp, and I was contemplating actually making the dish, but I’m really glad I ended up making it in the end because I’m really happy with the final product. However, I did end up putting in extra chilli flakes, black pepper, salt, and lemon juice at the end, because it was tasting a little bit bland. All of those things contributed to the tasty end result. Overall, I am super happy with how this dish came out!! I also got to learn a couple of new cooking skills, such as how to zest a lemon, that I can apply to other dishes I make in the future! Additionally, I was definitely more cautious as to how much liquid was going into the sauce (something I learnt from the previous week’s recipe).

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yoVZUhTW8y9yAa3SdzyQd6pS3Tv7xglj/view?usp=sharing

Here are some things I learnt from making this:

• How to zest a lemon
  • Sometimes, it’s okay to steer off the recipe and add in your own spices!

Here are some things I would do if I were to make the dish again:

• Add in some coriander, or some other cool toppers!

Update:

This class, I also looked back at my original Genius Hour plan. Based on what I read, I decided to make Momos next week! The reason I chose to make Momos instead of doing another dish is because of my original Genius Hour plan. I said that I wanted to include some Nepali Staple dishes, and I haven’t done that yet, so I decided now would be the perfect time. When looking over my plan, I also saw that I didn’t want to do any baking. I ended up actually baking some chocolate chip cookies, so I didn’t really listen to that. Also, I said I would start from easy-level difficulty to harder dishes, but I haven’t really been doing that. I went from hard to hard to easy to medium, which is definitely not what I was planning on doing. In upcoming weeks I’ll be sure to keep that in mind when choosing a recipe. However, I am really happy with my progress so far. I mentioned that cooking was not one of my strong suites, which is why I wanted to do it. I think that I have improved a great deal from before starting this Genius Hour!!

Posted April 26, 2023 by shreyaott22 in category Uncategorized