April 19

Blog #5 – Ground Chicken Tacos with Creamy Salsa

Hi! This week I made Ground Chicken Tacos with Creamy Salsa. This time, I did something a little bit differently. I noticed that a lot of the ingredients I used for this dish I had used in my previous dishes (like the chicken, onions etc.), so, I took my knowledge and failures from previous recipes I made, and tried to use this to my advantage. I think taking these failures helped me a lot to improve my cooking skills and technique. This includes how I cut my tomatoes and lettuce and how I cooked my chicken!!

Recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/ground-chicken-tacos-with-creamy-salsa-recipe-1925088

Editied Recipe: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uv8ZPBWWyC3g1PTUiJJ23Bsbml82ndp0XK-ciSwvIY8/edit

As much as I tried to perfect this recipe by using the various techniques and skills I have learnt over the past few weeks, one tiny thing made the end result bad. At first, everything was going well. I was using past mistakes to do things like cut the chicken smaller and mince the garlic into finer pieces. I was sure that these tacos would turn out delicious. However, that wasn’t the case. The recipe called for 1 cup of chicken stock, so, despite being wary of how runny it would make it, I added it to the chicken, garlic, onion, and bell pepper mixture that was in the skillet. When my parents and I went to try the tacos, all of the creamy salsa (that actually tasted really good on its own!) had turned into a soup-like consistency, and so it all dripped onto the plate. On top of that, I also added some cheese sauce that came with the shells, and that made it extra runny. The flavouring of the sauce was also pretty nasty, the dish would have been better off without it. This dish was really messy, to say the least! Although, one thing I’m pretty proud of is the creamy salsa. It obviously was super tricky to make, but it was really tasty. I definitely think that the tacos would have tasted way better if I hadn’t added the chicken stock and the cheese sauce. I’m kind of annoyed that such a little thing ruined this dish because I really did think it was going to turn out well. In the end, I was pretty disappointed in myself for this. However, at least I can apply this knowledge to upcoming dishes that I may make.

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f3d44z1knbL336YqNdBK3LLzjN5I3cWH/view?usp=sharing

Here are some things I learnt from making this:

• Sometimes, if you belive an ingrediant is going to ruin your dish, listen to your gut!

Here are some things I would do if I were to make the dish again:

• I most definitley would not add chicken stock
  • Refrain from using the cheese sauce packets
  • Try to make the tortellia/shells on my own as well (that seems like it would be fun to do!)
  • Chop the onion smaller

Posted April 19, 2023 by shreyaott22 in category Uncategorized